Blade Runner

 This was the first movie that I didn't like. I understand that this was a very popular movie, especially considering Harrison Ford was in it. However, it just was not my style of movie. 

Firstly, the plot was very confusing to me. It felt all over the place. In some of the analyses I read, the authors believed it was commentary on social hierarchy. However, I did not take that away from the movie. I only followed the action plot, I did not detect a deeper meaning like social norms and hierarchy. 

However, I found Roy's dying monologue very interesting. It was hinted at when Leon asked Deckerd if he knew what it felt like to live in fear, and I find that to be a very interesting take. I believe that to be a deep and genuine question if it were from a human, but as a replicant, it makes the question more complicated. It shows that as emotions and sentience evolve and develop within an individual or being, their needs and feelings become more valuable. This is especially evident with Rachel. She had genuine emotions because of the memories Tyrell implanted in her. Despite these not being her true memories, she had deep and heartfelt emotions that deserved recognition and validation. 

I think the futuristic technology in the movie was an interesting prediction of modern technology, but it was also baffling. I found it odd that a society that had such advanced technology was so dark and somber. Normally advanced technology is a sign of a thriving society, but this was not the case in this film.

Lastly, Philip K. Dick's imaginative mind was incredible and influential, which surprises me. Considering, a large amount of his work was inspired by his hallucinations and his trips, it is impressive how accurate his idea of multiple realities was. As a very big concept in science fiction movies today, like marvel, it is interesting to me that he pitched the idea decades ago after a few inspiring drugs.

Comments

Popular Posts