Don't Worry Darling

 My friends and I were so excited to watch this movie because we had been anticipating it for so long. When it came out all I could do was analyze it like I was in class, so I'm so happy I was able to use it in class. Despite the drama around the film, I think it was a well made film. I think it may have to do with the drama and Olivia Wilde's lack of professionalism, but it didn't get any Golden Globe nominations. All the nominations came out yesterday, and many people feel like the film should have been nominated. However, the drama surrounding the cast was incredibly unprofessional and set up Olivia Wilde to be highly criticized, so I am not surprised. 

I think there are a lot of great things about this movie. The cinematography was incredible. The shots were stunning, and the aesthetic of the film was beautiful. I would do my hair like Alice's hair everyday if I had the time. Additionally, I did not see the plot twist coming at the end. Olivia Wilde couldn't predict that her film would resonate so much from current affairs, but as soon as I saw Jack get recruited via podcast I immediately thought of Andrew Tate. I wouldn't consider Olivia Wilde a feminist (or a good one at least) but it's crazy to me that the timing of the film and the conversation around toxic masculinity and men like Andrew Tate would align so well. Wilde did buy the script from Katie Silberman and changed a few things, mainly the ending, and I wish she hadn't because it sounds like the original ending had more clarity. The majority of the film was so detailed, and the ending was kind of rushed. I feel like the build up in the beginning could have been shorter and still be effective, and it would have left more time to see Alice's escape play out. 

In addition to the conversation around toxic masculinity, I feel like Don't Worry Darling is the first movie to explore VR in the manner that it did. I could be wrong, but I don't know of another movie where men trap women in their idea of a "utopian" reality. (I feel like if anyone has, Black Mirror has.) I think this prompts a really important question about ethics involving VR. 1. At what point does VR become necessary? 2. Where should the line be drawn when it comes to VR? It's obviously a new method of men praying on women, but in a way there is nothing new about it. Women have been considered inferior to men by many societies for centuries, and in the past couple of centuries they've been victims of violent crimes perpetrated by men. So while enslaving women in your perfect reality as a man is definitely a new concept, the concept of men feeling they own women is not new at all. 



Here are links explaining the drama (and why these pics are significant):



Comments

Popular Posts