CREATIVE PROCESSES

 Blade Runner
















We took heavy inspiration from the second to last line of Roy's dying monologue: “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.” We decided to create raindrops that held the memories Roy was speaking of. After we realized that our pictures would pretty much be the same if we interpreted Roy's monologue literally, I decided to do something different. Hearing “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe.” immediately made me think of Amelia Earheart because she saw so much as a pilot and no one knows what she discovered on her last flight, so I decided to think of more people who died young or early who had great impacts on the world in their short time. Everyone I thought of: Amelia Earhart, Astronauts in failed missions (Columbia), MLK, Robin Williams, Steve Jobs, Alan Turing, Heath Ledger, Steve Irwin, Tupac, Jimi Hendrix, Freddie Mercury, Princess Diana, and Selena Quintanilla. I looked up newspapers headlines about all of their deaths and printed them out. I also looked up a few sentimental catastrophes like the Notre-Dame fire in 2019 and printed out pictures that I felt like showed strong emotions. I began trying to collage the headlines and realized most of them didn't fit onto the raindrop. However, this allowed me to get creative (which I really enjoyed). For some raindrops I had to overlap different pictures or headlines, and for others I had to glued the main picture on the drop and then cut out each word and arranged it so that all of it fit on the rain drop. We did the front and the back of the raindrops since we knew they would turn. As I began collaging, I realized I subconsciously put people in similar dynamic together. For example, Alan Turing, Freddie Mercury, and Princess Diana were all near each other. Obviously, all of them were British, but Alan Turing and Freddie Mercury had completely different experiences as gay men in the UK. Tupac, MLK, and Jimi Hendrix were all near each other. Tupac and MLK were active in the Civil Rights Movement, and Tupac and Jimi Hendrix were both influential black musicians. Lastly, on one side I had the Columbia space craft clippings spread across multiple rain drops, and on the other side of the same rain drops I had Amelia Earhart clippings spread across multiple drops. Once all of the rain drops were collaged, we poked holes in them and strung string through them and add the strong to the cloud.

The Fifth Element
















Our theme for the fashion show was challenging traditional gender roles in fashion. I helped my mom move out of her house over thanksgiving break, and in the process everyone got rid of a lot of clothes. Instead of going to a thrift store, I just grabbed some clothes out of the give away pile. I ended up grabbing mainly red and white clothes, and two dresses stood out to me. One was a boxy white linen dress with pleats in the middle, and the other was a skater dress with roses all over it. I immediately thought the pleats on the white dress could look like a dress shirt that men typically wear. As I played around I decided to disconnect the top portion of the rose dress and cut it in half. I sewed each side of the rose dress on top of the top portion of the white dress, and it looked like a feminine take on the Oxford shirt and blazer men tend to wear. I had a red blazer and found red pants, so I thought I could make it look like a suit, but the pants were waaaay too small for me to wear. I realized the pattern of the rose portion looked like the vest part some men wear with tuxes. I kept digging for more clothes and found a red ribbon that I had used for Gasparilla in the past. I immediately grabbed it because I figured it could be a faux cummerbund. At that point I was committed to a feminine version of a tux, so all I had to do was the bottom portion. I figured a skirt would be a good route because men typically wear pants with their tuxes or suits. I put the line dress under the rose dress this time because the linen peaking out from under the rose dress felt similar to the sleeves of an Oxford shirt peaking out of blazer sleeves. I only had black shoes to wear, so I borrowed a black blazer from Madison to complete the look. I also decided to tie a black hair ribbon around my neck as a feminine faux bow tie.

Don't Worry Darling








We chose Don't Worry Darling because Madison and I had already seen it and we loved it, and we also said we could connect it to virtual reality. Madison had the idea to make our poster the shape of VR goggles and added a black "strap" to the back. We printed out a bunch of stills from the movie and then added our text from our pdf on top. With the remaining scraps we filled in any extra blank spaces. Originally I was sceptic of the idea, but I think it turned out good. Because the pictures blend together so well, it does kind of look like what you see while wearing VR goggles. For our pdf, we found an article describing 7 layers of the universe. We split up the sections equally and compared and applied the layers from the article to the film.





 




Comments

Popular Posts