2001: a space odyssey

 Once again, I really enjoyed this film which surprised me. I think I thought all sci-fi movies were super nerdy, but so far they've been very elegant. In Metropolis and 2001: a space odyssey, science fiction was an aspect of the movie, but it wasn't the core of the movie. I think that's why I enjoy these films. They are very creative and stylish, and the science is just another aspect of the story.

 I really enjoyed the cinematography in this movie. I've always appreciated art and film, but I rarely get to indulge in it. This film was a pleasant surprise because I did not expect it to be so artsy and thoughtful. Kubrick did an outstanding job at creating a a well rounded experience. The film was visually pleasing, mentally stimulating, and audibly pleasurable. It definitely opened my eyes to the broad range of science fiction movies. 

 As much as I appreciated the movie, I could not be satisfied with the ambiguous ending. I had to research it and discover how other people interpreted it. I understand that the ending was obscure so that it could be interpreted many different ways, but the ending felt anticlimactic to me because the rest of the film was so intricate and detailed. I found the movie to be even more profound after researching and learning the history of the story and the film. 

 Firstly, 2001: a space odyssey was not initially popular and praised. In fact, it was heavily ridiculed by critics, but hippies saved the film. They appreciated the trippy scene, and it became so popular that Kubrick's team later rebranded posters to appeal to the psychedelic crowd. This discovery shocked me because I know the film is considered a classic today. 

 Secondly, Arthur C. Clarke, the co-creator of the film, published a novel by the same name after the release of the film. Kubrick and Clarke worked on the novel together, but Clarke was the only official author. The information from the novel adds a lot of clarity to the film, and it makes the storyline better in my opinion. The film effectively demonstrates that monoliths are catalysts to advancement, but the novel elaborates on the history and purpose of monoliths.

 Monoliths were created by the "Firstborn" who oversee the universe. Their main purpose is to promote progress and eliminate major threats. They placed four monoliths throughout the universe, and humans discovered 2 of them. Dave came in contact with three of them. This clarified the ending for me. When Dave reached Jupiter's orbit and got close to the 3rd monolith, he was transported to a different part of the universe. In this part of the universe, he was observed by the Firstborn. Kubrick said himself that Dave was like a zoo animal to them. They attempted to recreate French architecture but were inaccurate. Kubrick said this is similar to zoo habitats because humans try to recreate natural habitats but there will always be limitations. Ultimately, Dave reaches the end of his life and the fourth monolith appears. As he reaches for it, he is transformed into simpler celestial being then the Firstborn, and the Firstborn send him toward Earth to promote more progress. 

 In addition to clarification, these articles shared similar notes. I noticed the ship Dave took to Clavius Station looked like a helmet, and one author deducted that at that point in time that technology has become so advanced that it began to take on a human form. This is further evident by the creation of HAL. The articles also had brilliant analyses that I had not thought of, but I think they are accurate and believable. We know Monoliths serve to advance society and technology, but Kubrick subtly showed this through  humans capabilities. Before the Jupiter mission, humans had to learn how to walk, eat, and use the bathroom in space much like babies must learn and gain the capabilities to eat, walk, and use the bathroom. However, on the mission to the Jupiter, Dave easily walks around the ship and eats solid (rather than liquid) food, much like an infant eventually masters walking and eating. This subtle element is so powerful because every single living human has had to make the journey from infant to adult. I love this analysis and am glad the author shared it. 

 Lastly, I am extremely impressed with how accurate Kubrick's visions of the future are. Computer screens were not created until 5 years after the film came out in 1973. Kubrick and Clark may have dreamed of computer displays, fingerprint identification, and using "face" phones, but for the average person that was probably extravagant and unimaginable. It is baffling to me how many pieces of technology in the film are accurate portrayals of today's technology. I'm sure Kubrick had no idea that the technology he thought up would become so advanced that it would be used for normal people rather than just high clearance government officials. 

Here are my notes, and these are the articles I read.

https://collider.com/2001-a-space-odyssey-explained-stanley-kubrick-kier-dullea/

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/23/2001-a-space-odyssey-what-it-means-and-how-it-was-made

https://medium.com/rreview/2001-a-space-odyssey-explained-228c2d551cbf 



Comments

Popular Posts